Thursday, June 13, 2013

Treasured Memories


Why does it take a major life event or the anniversary of such an event before we find the time to sit down and reflect on childhood memories?  As things have unfolded since this past Friday, I find myself thinking of some fond childhood memories - memories I could have been sharing with my children.

My dad called me last week to let me know my grandmother, his mother, had died.  Regrettably, I didn’t hear my phone ring so he left a brief message to let me know and he asked me to call him back so he could fill me in on more.  Well, it wasn’t until four hours later that I got the message. I felt awful I wasn’t available when he called – I wasn’t there for him.  When I talked with him, he was very composed, as he always is, and he shared with me how everything unfolded.  Unfortunately, he was not there when she took a turn for the worse, and he got updates from his brother. 

My grandmother has been ill for quite some time, and the last several years she lived in a nursing home while suffering from dementia.  I tried to remember the last time I saw her, and honestly I can’t pinpoint that exact visit.  The last time I was ‘home’ to Missouri was in 2008, and I know she was too ill at that time to join us for the holiday festivities.  I don’t have many memories of time spent with my grandmother because growing up we always lived out of state.  My grandparents, both maternal and paternal, are Missourians, and my family was constantly on the move.  We started off in Missouri, but we moved all over the place from Missouri to Tennessee to Missouri to Alabama to Missouri back to Alabama.  Then to Nebraska and finally to West Virginia.   We didn’t grow up near our extended family.

We’d travel home to Missouri for summer trips, Christmas vacations, and some special occasions.  Our trips were always rushed and we would spend time with everyone.  So we didn’t get a lot of individual time with our grandparents.  But I still have memories from going to my grandparents’ house in Farmington.  I have memories of airplanes across the field at the local airport, the dog pens that lined the back of their yard, litters of pups, sitting on their back porch, sitting in the strawberry patch eating as many strawberries as I could, African violets, the wallpaper store, the craft store, and German style potato salad.

My grandparents owned a wallpaper store and a craft store.  I remember going to the wallpaper store and looking through books and books of wallpaper samples.  I also remember visiting the craft store, oh and getting in trouble for touching things. One specific memory I have was when we went to the store and I got cotton pom poms and little plastic cup like things so I could make mini ice cream sundaes. 

My grandmother was always making little knickknacks.  I still have several of the little ceramic knickknacks that she took time to paint and gift me.  I have Easter eggs that we keep out year round, a bunny for Easter and a jack-o-lantern with a mouse sitting on top of it for Halloween.  There was a Big Bird statute, and I remember my cousin and I were messing around and it got broke. Of course, we didn’t tell anyone and when it was discovered that night at bedtime, I was quick to blame my cousin - I’m pretty sure I broke it.   That Big Bird has forever been a memory even though I don’t still have it.

Most kids love their grandma’s chocolate chip cookies or homemade pies, but the one thing I loved that my grandmother made was her German style potato salad.  I’ve tried making it, but I don’t have her recipe and it never tastes quite the same.  I remember many meals at my grandma’s and that was the one thing I always looked forward to.

I joined my family this week in Missouri for my grandmother’s funeral.  I’ll be honest; I didn’t think I would get upset since I didn’t have a traditional grandchild-grandparent relationship with her.  When I found out she died, I cried for my dad’s loss more so than for mine.  My dad still traveled periodically to visit his mother and now that had been taken away from him.  I have to admit, the moment I saw her, I lost it.  Apparently, the grandchild-grandparent relationship is a strong bond regardless of how often you physically see one another.  My grandmother may no longer be with us, but I will always have the memories.

Don’t wait till something major happens . . . share your fondest memories, big or small, with those you love. 

No comments: