Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Rescue . . .

Okay, last night we heard the visitors at the trash cans again. So, Jay, Mackenzie and I peeked out to see them. Jay said they had only one can opened, but Mackenzie & I watched mama and one little one hop around and pouncing with their front paws through the grass. Do they eat bugs from the ground? Well, they were out of sight so Mackenzie went back to bed. The noise always gets her out of bed as the cans are almost under her bedroom window.

A few minutes later, I could hear noise again outside so I peeked through the blinds. One little one was trying to get into the can, grasping by his hind feet/toes to keep him from falling in, but to no avail he tumbled into the can. As I was telling Jay I didn't think he'd be able to get out, the little critter started pawing and clawing to get out and I could see his cute little nose and paws. I know my fil would love to get rid of them, but he's just a baby. So, Jay said he'd undo the bungee cord and tip the can over so he could get out. Well, when he went out to help he says, "Uh, Ang, there's three in there." Oh no, all her babies were stuck in the can. We were watching for mama and she was only about 25 ft. away in the darkness watching, we could see her eyes glowing. Of course I had to grab the camera before he helped them get out.

While Jay took their picture, the helpless little critters were hissing and growling at him. Like they could do anything from there. So he released the bungee cords and tipped the can over and they came running out. Two stopped and looked back at us, but my camera was off so I didn't get a picture of their departure.
We could have gotten rid of the three of them very easily by closing the can and putting it on the truck for a ride further out, but I didn't want them to be separated from their mama. Besides, aren't they just so cute. I know they're cute now and in a year they may wreck havoc on the trash, but until then when they're able to take care of themselves without mama they can be free.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They look smaller in the can then in the previous pictures when they are on top of the can! They are cute though! Mom