Monday, December 5, 2011

Our First Church Christmas concert . . .

It is only the first weekend of December and the busyness has begun.  The weekend started off with a holiday formal for Kassi (that post is to come) and ended with a holiday concert. 

Last night was our church’s 10th annual Christmas concert.  Being our first holiday here, we didn’t know what to expect – only what we had been told.  At church yesterday morning – which Kassi & I were unable to attend because of our weekend delivery, our second load of papers weren’t dropped until almost 9:00 p.m. on Fri. night which set us WAY behind for the weekend delivery.  Anyway, they announced to arrive early to get a seat.

They weren’t kidding!!!  People started arriving around 6:00 p.m. & the concert didn’t start until 7:00 p.m. By 6:40 p.m. there were NO seats. UGH!! We were still expecting the arrival of some friends, and we couldn’t save seats for them any longer. :(

The concert featured our church’s choirs – adult, teen, & children’s; several performers, and Logan Elm Advanced Choir. 

Our church choirs started the evening with their performance.  It was a pleasure to see three siblings – not our kiddos – share their musical talent as they played their instruments together.  There was a family that performed and I believe I heard this is their tenth year. 

Of course, I had to have Mackenzie play.  So she performed a piece with her violin teacher, who also happens to be the retired pastor from our church . . .

 

I know, we can’t see her face.  I was doing good to get her up there.  She loves to play the violin, BUT she doesn’t like to perform in front of people.  All we can do is to continue to encourage her – oh yeah, and make arrangements for her to play. :)

She wasn’t the only one from our family to get up, apprehensively, and share with the audience . . .

 

Kassi and her friend, Emily, both take lessons from the same vocal teacher and attend co-op together.  They do a wonderful job together.  It’s funny because Kassi too doesn’t like to sing in front of people, but put her in a play and it isn’t a big deal.  So I asked her one day why she gets nervous when she sings and not when she’s acting.  Her response, “When I’m in a play I am not me. I am the character I am playing to be. But when I am singing – it is ALL me.” 

Regardless of the girls’ nerves, they did a wonderful job in front of a packed house.  :)  The whole concert was lovely.  It was very nice for all the performers from near & far to share their gifts with our community, and it was awesome to see the church that full of people!!  Now that we know what to expect, I can’t wait until next year’s concert.

No comments: