Monday, March 30, 2009

Feeling Better



Mackenzie is definitely feeling better. It's been a lot easier than I think we all expected. When Mackenzie woke up Saturday morning I was afraid to ask her how she felt. She had a pretty restful night and only woke up once, at which time she took a small drink. Having had surgery before, I know you typically feel worse the next day. Well, she did ask for some good pain medicine and said it hurt to swallow. However, after she several drinks, and the pain medicine kicked in, she said it didn't hurt so bad. I insisted she spend much of the day resting. She spent quite a bit of time on the couch playing the Wii and watching TV, and she took a couple short naps. At bedtime, she slept with me again and I gave her her second dose of pain medicine to help her sleep better.

Well, she woke up Sunday morning reading to take the hour drive to Jay's church for service. She ate like a little bird all day Saturday - a little applesauce, a little yogurt, and lots of Popsicles. Sunday morning she ate a little bit of applesauce but after church she had a frosty from Wendy's. Later in the day Jay fixed her some mashed potatoes, but she went back to her standby, even had her sister feed her. Then for dinner I fixed one of the kids' favorite dishes, chicken pot pie. She stood by me with this sad look on her face. I suggested she try to eat it as it was pretty moist and soft. SUCCESS. She finally ate something more substantial than applesauce.

Today's been an even better day. I couldn't get her to nap, but she had Jay pull out the hide a bed in the living room and she rested there today. A neighbor friend came over to play, which she can't go outside yet and she can't run, jump or anything strenuous for two (long) weeks. So the little girl came in and played the Wii and just visited with her.

I hope she continues on this same path and that tomorrow and the next will be better each day. I am hoping the hardest part from this point forward will be keeping her from "playing" too hard for the next 11 days.



No comments: