Thursday, August 27, 2009

Happy Birthday . . .

Well, Tuesday, August 25th in the year of 1969, Jay came into this world at 7:13 a.m. Yes, that’s right, this year he celebrated his 40th birthday. We (Cassie & I) wanted to throw a huge surprise party, but as we neared this landmark year and then month we realized a big surprise shindig was out. People, us included, are just busy so trying to even get family together, especially since one sister lives in California and then one is in Dayton, OH getting together just doesn’t happen.

Last week, Thursday to be exact, Jay realized he didn’t even ask for the day off of work. Of course, my first reaction was, “Where will you make up the hours?” considering that is one of his 15 hour shift days at work. Then I was like, what the heck, you might as well take it off at this point. So, he phoned work and find out the schedule was already done, but they worked it out that he could have the morning off and wouldn’t have to come in till 4:00 p.m. and work till closing and they’d try to find someone to work the evening. Well, in the mean time his brother phoned me and said lets take cake into work (Cosi @ Easton) and surprise him.

So, on my way to take Cassie jeans shopping at Kohl’s (they had a great deal on juniors jeans), I go through this huge ordeal to try and call his place of employment. Let me tell you, according to Sprint’s 411 service there’s only one Cosi in the Columbus area, they need to update their records. Well, after being resourceful, I obtained the phone number and called one of the managers.

I explained who I was and then followed it by “Don’t let him off of the evening shift!”

She was shocked and asked, “You don’t want him off on his birthday?”

So, I explained our plan to surprise him at work with cake and balloons.

She agreed she’d run “reconnaissance” and make sure no one would cover his shift. (Thanks Rachel)

After working his Friday shift, he came home and said he couldn’t find anyone to cover his evening shift. I reminded him he still had Monday to try and see if he could find someone to work for him. Well, after a long day at work Monday, he came home a little flustered because, “There’s no one to cover my shift.” I tried to play it off and I asked him if anyone owed him a favor and he said no one’s around because they’re back in school. I told him, “Oh well. I had to deliver papers on my birthday, which was the Saturday before (Aug. 22nd), and no I am not 40, not yet I still have a few, three to be exact, years to go.

Well, when he left for work on Tuesday, I was taking a nap (I’m not sleeping well at night with everything that’s going on) and when I woke up Cassie informed me that he told them he would try to get off early so he could put them to bed. Of course, Mackenzie I guess about panicked in front of him and Cassie had to get her to hush and once he left she said she’d let me know and I’d take care of it. And take care of it I did. I called work and talked with Amanda and told her his plans and our surprise to come. She said she wasn’t surprised and she’d keep him there.

So, at 7:45 p.m. we met up in front of the new Lego Store at Easton and then we walked down to Cosi, and the pictures tell the rest of the story . . .











Well, I think we surprised him. Thank you, Rachel, Amanda, and all of Jay's co-workers for not covering his shift!! It was a nice way to say Happy Birthday!! I hope he had a good day even though he had to work. Happy 40th Birthday honey!! We love you very much.

No comments: