Sunday, August 16, 2009

She's not so little anymore

Why do they have to grow up so fast?

We took advantage of Old Navy's jean sale this week and Mackenzie got some new jeans as she has officially grown out of last years jeans. She's finally a size 8 - Yeah!! She is growing, but she is still the tiny one of the family. She is only 9, but she is starting to look and (try) to act more and more grown up.

I am the oldest of my family, but there is nine years between me and my sister. So, I don't ever recall her wanting to dress like me or hang out with me and my friends or just be a mini me. Well, Mackenzie has reached that age where she truly looks up to, if you will, her big sister. There is only five years between them so there still is a pretty good gap, but then again it's not a huge gap. Mackenzie likes to dress very similar to her sister and she likes to hang out with her and her friends . . . she does try to be a mini Cassie. Which we have said lately how much she reminds us of Cassie at that age.

Of course, Cassie is devastated when Mackenzie wants to wear an outfit that even vaguely looks like what she is wearing. Cassie dislikes the hangin' out thing, because her argument is she's not going to want to hang out with Mackenzie and her friends (but she does love to entertain them when they're around). Then to even hear, that Mackenzie reminds us of her at that age, she is just beside herself because she knows she didn't "act that way." Not that that way is a bad way, but it's a humerus coming of age way, you know the kind that tests the water.

Anyway, when we went shopping for jeans, Mackenzie wanted to get the "skinny jeans" that are the latest style. Yes, Cassie has "skinny jeans." Before we even got home she knew exactly what she was going to wear the next day. She was so excited to wear her new jeans with her Converse shoes (Cassie has a couple of pairs of these, as does Mackenzie now - she found hers all at the thrift stores so she could have some like her big sister). She looked so cute and grown up and of course when Cassie got home from work she was vocal in her observation . . . "Uh, why is she wearing an outfit like that? That's something I'd wear. She's not suppose to want to dress like that!"

The joys of being the big sister is having a little sister that looks up to you and wants to mimic everything you do. I'm sure Cassie will enjoy her role as the big sister when she gets a little older, but until then I'll have to referee and let the little one know when to let up a bit.









1 comment:

Margot said...

I LOVE Mackenzie! She is an absolute sweetheart. What a wonderful photo shoot you all had. I really like the 2nd and last ones. I like them all but those are my favorites. Need to talk with you about co-op!