Sunday, September 13, 2009

Our journey so far . . .

As you can see from the pictures, we were packed like sardines!! We got the second trailer packed and thought we had the van pretty well packed, but then we started (trying) to pack the last minute things into both our vehicles and realized we did not have enough room. So, we repacked the van and put things on the trailer that we had hoped to take with us - things that would keep us busy or entertain us at the house till the trailers arrived.
Around 10:20 a.m. on Fri., Sept. 11th we decided it was time to head out and run the last errands we had to run before we got on the road. We finally got on to I-70 West at 12:18 p.m., eighteen minutes late according to my schedule. With all the stops for people and dog, it took us three hours and 20 minutes to travel 200 miles at 72+ mph (depending on what state). So, I was thinking we had at least another 3 1/2 hours to go before we got to our first destination in Davenport, IA.
I tell you what I can not read the new AAA TripTik because we actually were traveling 500 miles that first day and not 400 which I had planned on. So, needless to say we did not arrive to our hotel till after 9:00 p.m. central time. So we spent almost ten hours on the road the first day. It was a long day for me and Jay considering we had been up since 6:00 a.m. trying to get the rest of the stuff loaded on the trailer.




At least we got to sleep in, or at least I got to try to, at the hotel and we got to my parents' house in Iowa a lot earlier than I had anticipated - like 3 hours earlier!! So, we got to spend more time with family and the kids were excited to get here. We sat around and had pizza & much needed beer and watched the Ohio State game - I know not the ending we wanted either, but I believe they played a good game!!
Today has been nice and relaxing. Jay, Zack, my dad, and my sister's beau are out playing golf. I just got back to the house to rest my back while my mom, my sister, Cassie and Mackenzie go to the dollar movie and see "Up!". Then tonight we are having a bonfire and cooking hot dogs. We have all the fixin's for Chicago dogs, southern dogs, and what ever you want on your dog. YUM!
The kids are excited to be with their grandparents, aunts, and uncle. I don't think we have really had time to think about leaving our friends and family back home. So, we aren't quite sad, yet - I'm sure that will set in when we leave here and arrive in North Dakota.

1 comment:

Margot said...

I love seeing your journey! Hope you are all getting settled and your not too tired!