Sunday, November 15, 2009

Birthday Celebration with Family

Well, Zack will be the first in the family to celebrate a birthday away from "home" and family. Zack is a December baby and we have always tried to make sure his birthday didn't and doesn't get lost in the holiday shuffle. We always wanted to make sure his birthday was kept separate from Christmas - you know, we get to get presents for our birthday and for Christmas, so shouldn't he get presents for his birthday and for Christmas?

After the first few years, I had read about December babies, especially those with birthdays closer to Christmas celebrating half birthdays. Well, we thought about it, but we hadn't done it so it seemed weird to start it, maybe if we would have done it from a young age then it would of made sense. Well, as all our families got bigger and busier, getting together for a December get together was hard to do - especially since we knew we'd be together for Christmas. So, since we would be together for Thanksgiving, we started celebrating Zack's birthday around Thanksgiving and it seemed to work out very well.

Well, with the move and all, I hadn't even thought about Zack's birthday -- that's terrible I know. With the upcoming arrival of Jay's parents, his mom had called a few days earlier and asked if we wanted to celebrate his birthday while they were here. Well, duh - thanks for reminding me (in a good way)!!!

Once Grandma Karen was here, we went "window" birthday shopping. Zack pointed out a few things he'd like for his birthday and then on a different day, she & I ran a few errands and she picked up his gifts.



Zack has been into chess lately, so when I saw this cake in a book I knew I had to make it for his birthday. Now, this year's birthday is a special one because it is what we call his "Golden Birthday" since he will turn 12 on the 12th day of December - a little more unique since he'll be 12 on 12/12!! Wow . . . what about the kids born on 12/12/2000 - they'll be 12 on 12/12/12!! Anyway, I decorated this cake using fondant (not a big fan of), but it actually turned out to be pretty easy. It was too late for me to make the chess pieces out of fondant so I bought a cheap chess game and placed the pieces. If I ever make it again, especially for a birthday cake, I will make the pieces out of fondant and have a few made around candles.



So after pictures with the cake, he got to open his presents and he found some of his FAVORITE toys - Transformers, Legos, Bionicles, and lighthouses!!







Well, one celebration down and at least one more to go. My mom & dad are coming for Thanksgiving, weather permitting -lol, and when they are here we are celebrating Zack's birthday with them. So, now I have to figure out another theme cake to make for him - I'm thinking Legos.

No comments: