Monday, February 8, 2010

Our Homeschooling Story . . .

Well, we have been homeschooling for only 6 1/2 years.  We started when Cassie was entering the 3rd grade and Zack was entering kindergarten.  We started homeschooling because we had had a negative, okay a couple of negative experiences with the school district we lived in.

A little schooling history . . .

*   Cassie attended kindergarten at Canal Winchester's Indian Trail, 2000-2001 school year

*   June 2001 we moved to Parker, Colorado & in July 2001 Cassie started the 1st grade; they have year round schooling . . . SHOCKER - she was 1/2 a year behind academically, which was heartbreaking because when she started kindergarten she was definitely ahead, we even went to the principal at the time a requested she be tested and moved straight to the first grade, but he refused sighting "socialization" as his support

*   It didn't take Cassie long to get caught up and surpass her academic peers.  In the second grade she was doing work equivalent to the fourth grade level.

*   Mid academic year 2002-2003, January '03, we moved back to Pickerington, Ohio and prior to enrolling her we went to the superintendent and discussed Cassie's academic progress.  The superintendent was non receptive to our inquiries about having her tested and gave the excuse that they hear all the time from families moving into the district that their kids are ahead when in reality they are not; "Pickerington has one of the best districts in the state."  STRIKE ONE!!

*   We were building a house so we were able to enroll Cassie in the elementary she would attend based on the completion of our home.  When I took Cassie in to meet her teacher, I talked briefly about her academics.  She was non-receptive.  After a few weeks, Cassie was BORED bringing home horrible grades, so we met with the teacher.  Her response was upsetting.  She claimed Cassie was not even at level, 2nd gr., especially in reading (she was reading upon entering K).  I was very upset, but figured she was misinformed. When actually I think she had it out for the poor kid.  It turned out she was the mother of a boy the same age/in class/on pee wee leagues with the Jacksons (my husband & his sibs) when my MIL pulled them out of school to homeschool.  This teacher flat out asked if I was related to "the Jacksons that use to go around singing and homeschooled for a while."  Evidentlly my MIL was one of the pioneers of homeschooling in the Pickerington area.  It was then and there I realized this teacher had no interest in challenging and educating my child.

*   Well, the house we were building was taking longer and there were some hold-ups, so we opted for buying an established home and we moved in in May of '03. Which meant in Sept. '03, Cassie would be enrolled in a different elementary building, but she finished out her the 2002-2003 at the current building with her horrible teacher.  At the end of the academic year, the proficiency test scores came home.  Can you believe Cassie tested 4th grade and higher in all academic areas!!!  I was so angry at this teacher because she had wasted valuable time with my daughter!!  STRIKE TWO!!

*   The 2003-2004 year was started in a new elementary so I thought a new beginning.  Well, within the first week I went to one of those "Meet the Teacher" group meetings and was truly appalled.  After the meeting, I talked one on one with the teacher about Cassie.  She too was non-receptive and her comment to me was (paraphrased): "I have X amount of kids in my class. I prepare one lesson plan.  If you would like to keep challenging Cassie in subjects she excels in, I encourage you to use additional workbook materials at home so she doesn't get bored and lose her drive to learn."  Can you figure this one out? . . . . STRIKE THREE!!

*   I went home that night and talked with Jay.  For months Cassie had been asking to be homeschooled, and here we were finally entertaining the idea.  We knew Cassie's learning capabilities and we knew Zack's lack of interest.  We were concerned Cassie would continue to be bored and lose her drive to learn, she was already not wanting to go to school - which was new -, she was getting more migraine headaches, and she was getting horrible grades on things she had already done/learned in Colorado and had gotten excellent grades on.  We were afraid Zack wouldn't excel as Cassie did and he might get lost in the whole scheme of things.  It didn't take long for use to agree it was time for us to educate our children.

So, in September 2003 we pulled the kids out to begin our homeschooling journey. Cassie started 3rd grade and Zack started K. Our academic year runs from January to January.  Homeschooling gives us the flexibilty to vacation/take trips when we want, fly through material that comes easily, take longer time/more intense studies of material that doesn't come easily, take personal time when life happens, or take off the same day as dad's day off.  School doesn't have to be the same time everyday or the same days of the week.  It just has to happen and for us to complete the material.

We use the A Beka curriculum for the majority of our core subjects, which is about a grade and half ahead of most curriculums.  Zack uses BJU for his English writing & grammar and spelling. You see he doesn't excel in those areas and A Beka was too advanced so a friend had suggested Bob Jones because it was working for her son who seemed to have a lot of the same learning tendancies. 

Our only stipulation with homeschooling was the kids don't have a choice until after they complete the 6th grade.  Once they have completed the 6th grade then they get the choice if they want to continue their home education or venture out and try the brick and mortar schools.  The original motivation there was I wasn't sure I would be capable of educating them as they got into harder subjects. To my surprise Cassie entered her 9th grade this year AT home.  I am truly loving this journey. I love seeing the excitement in one of them when they learn something that truly interests them.  I continue to learn right along with them!!

The reason I wanted to share our journey is because for the first time ever, Cassie and I are going to attend a home school convention.  I booked our hotel reservation last night.  March 18-20, 2010 Cassie and I are going to Fargo for the North Dakota Home School Association Home School Convention.  After reviewing the home school convention booklet, I am truly interested and excited about the transcript boot camp, some of the keynote sessions and workshops.  You see, ND is one of the most restrictive states for homeschoolers and I want to make sure I get it right (on paper, that is!!).  Plus, as Cassie enters high school I have to keep detailed info/records so I make sure she completes the required units & has a grade card to share when applying for college.  Cassie's looking forward to the "jamming/visiting" session and is planning on attending the "Pure Heart - Purity Conference."  It will also be a great get away for mother and daughter just days after her 15th birthday!!

1 comment:

Jennifer James said...

That sounds like a great idea. I have never attended a homeschool conference either. Make sure you write about all that you learn there.
Also, thanks for sharing your homeschool journey. I love to hear how everyone got started.