Thursday, April 23, 2009

Headed North

Well, there hasn't been much going on with our upcoming move to North Dakota. Once Jay was assigned to the Western North Dakota Synod he spoke with the bishop to find out his information packet had been shared with three potential congregations in Crosby, Williston, and Minot.


After some serious Internet searching we shortly learned that Crosby is only six miles south of the Canadian border and the town has a population less than a thousand people. As a stay-home schooling mom, I quickly became concerned about the opportunities or lack there of in such an isolated area. All three potential congregations were provided with three candidates. So three congregations and three candidates; doesn't leave much room for flexibility or variety. I am very anxious about this whole process . . . I'm the "what if" or as my husband puts it "the worse case scenario" person. He keeps reminding me we have no control over this, that the Lord will lead us and we will get through this. A fellow home school mom said it best last week when she shared this statement:


If you want to hear God laugh . . . just tell him your plans.


Well, after a couple of weeks, Jay received a call from Crosby's contact and he was told we as a family are not a good fit, Jay's qualifications are excellent, but the community might be lacking things and resources we need as a family. Of course, Jay reminded me to just have faith in Him and in this process.


So then the waiting continues . . . another character flaw I need to work on - being patient. I was hoping by now we would have been out to North Dakota and would know more about when and where we are moving. But it's been over two months and I'm still as much in the dark as I was when we found out the assigned area.


On May 4, 2009, Jay and I will land at Minot International Airport in Minot, ND and the courting will begin. Our trip will be short, but enough time for him to interview with the congregation in Minot and the parish in Williston. From what I understand, this is also an opportunity for Jay to interview these potential congregations to see if he feels lead to either also. We should get to see a little of each community and get a better feel of the areas. We can only see so much on the Internet. I'm sure I'll take lots of pictures and try to gain as much knowledge about each community for future use.

Once we know more, you will too.

No comments: