Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Mackenzie is feeling GREAT!

It's hard to believe that Mackenzie had surgery 19 days ago. But I have to tell you Friday, April 10th, was a very big day for her. For two long weeks after her surgery she couldn't run, jump, climb, or do anything strenuous. She was an awesome trooper. She'd go outside with her siblings, but wouldn't be able to "play" with them and the neighbor kids - because of her restrictions. BUT Friday was a different day, it was the two week marker from the date of her surgery.

I caught a glimpse of her running by the front storm door when Cassie came in and told me to look out the kitchen window. There she was running all over the backyard with the biggest smile on her face. She finally made it back into the house and yelled with pure excitement, "I can run!!"

One of the other concerns we had was the fact that she lost 10% of her body weight. I'd love to lose 10% of my body weight, but on her little 60 pound frame it was a lot. If you recall she was sick a couple of weeks before her surgery, so when she went to pre-op we found out she had lost three pounds. Of course the days that followed surgery she didn't eat much at all. I stocked up on frozen treats, pudding, applesauce, ice cream, chicken noodle soup, and yogurt for her, but she's a finicky eater and none of that was very appetizing to her. She was great about drinking her fluids - - the apple juice, Sprite, and sweet tea, but wouldn't drink the Nutri Pals we got hoping to get some calories into her.

Well, after I talked with my dad and relayed the message from Grandpa Tom that she needed to eat lots of chocolate pudding or drink a few chocolate milkshakes, she decided to take an interest in eating. She's been checking her weight, and we are excited to say she has gained back those pesky six pounds, and she is eating just about anything, that is if she likes it, these days.

YEAH, Mackenzie! She made it through those two weeks of recovery and now she no longer has any restrictions. We take a peek at the back of her throat periodically, and it looks better and better everyday. She sees the ENT for her follow-up on May 12th, but I think I can honestly say - - She is back to her ornery self, I mean she is 100% healthy.

1 comment:

Jennifer James said...

I am so glad she is feeling better! It is hard to watch siblings play and have a good time when your not feeling well.
See you Thurs.