Saturday, June 12, 2010

New foods

Okay, this week has been another week of new recipes.  The other night I made our all time favorite sloppy joes which we normally have chips and baked beans with, but I had to come up with new sides because our pantry is a little scarce right now.  I need to do some shopping and stop up on our basic pantry items.

Anyway, I didn’t even have any frozen fries to fix either, so I decided to try and make homemade onion rings.  Now, I have made onion rings before and they just never taste the same as they do out.  Well, I came across a recipe in one of my favorite cookbooks and followed it – only made one minor adjustment, but I used a technique I learned watching a cooking show on the Food Network.

DSCF5976

We loved them!!  Now we know we can have onion rings without paying the price at a restaurant.  YUM!!

Well, we like tilapia fish very much.  Typically Jay will grill it or I will fry it up for a club style sandwich.  Yesterday, I decided I wanted something different.  So I searched one of my favorite recipe sites and came across this and that.  The kids aren’t big coconut fans so I fixed the “this” for them and the “that” for us.  Of course Jay and I had to try a little of the kids’.

DSCF5977

This was my plate with the fresh green beans and a full serving of the Coconut Tilapia and a taste of the Broiled Tilapia Parmesan.  They both were very yummy and the kids loved theirs!  Two more keepers!!! 

Now, I did make a couple of modifications to the coconut – the flour I used half all-purpose and half self-rising and the apricot sauce called for apricot jam which I didn’t have so I used orange marmalade and it was still a great compliment to the fish. 

Oh yeah, Jay came up with a very tasty grown-up drink that went very well with our tilapia.  It is a mixture of vodka, cherry rum, and pineapple juice.  A nice little escape to the islands during these chilly days in the mid 50’s.

No comments: