Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Well, back in November Cassie and I took a level one cake decorating class. When the kids were younger I made those character cakes with the tons of stars to ice it. I have to admit, I haven't made a cake for Mackenzie - she'll be nine this year so maybe I'll make her a cake. We love watching that Ace of Cakes show on the Foodnetwork - which those cakes are way to elaborate for me to do, but they are quite inspiring.



Our first class we learned the basics of making buttercream icing and using a cookie cutter to make a pattern to fill in with stars. Cassie made the green bunny cake and I did an angel, of course.



The next class we learned how to do some of the basic borders and how to make some very basic flowers with a bigger star tip. Cassie did an awesome job on her second cake (below) and I made cupcakes and decorated each one with a new learned technique.





For Zack's birthday, the girls decided to make Zack's cake. Nice job girls!!




Well, I have now signed up and attended two classes for the level two decorating class. We are learning how to make flowers and other decorations out of Royal icing and color flow. Cassie didn't want to take the class because she has no interest in learning how to make flowers. So above are the first batch of flowers and leaves I made. I have two more classes - next class we'll learn how to make other flowers and then the last class we put together our final project, which is a basket weave cake full of flowers. I'm so excited!! When my cake is done, I'll share with all.

No comments: