Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Cassie’s story of herding the cattle

Cassie Jackson

Experience Paper

December 1, 2009


 

Herding Cattle via Horseback


 

Well, on November 30th, 2009, I went to the Frank's house to go herd cattle. The cattle were about 9.5 miles out, and we had to bring them home for the season via horseback. When the Franks asked me the day before, I was super excited and couldn't wait! After all, I hadn't been riding in 3 or 4 years. I wasn't in the least bit nervous, since I knew I was going to get a really good horse, and Patti said she knew two of her friends were going to be there and they would keep an eye on me. And they did.

After everyone got there, they loaded up the trailers, and Patti went over things Pedro (her horse I was going to ride) liked to do and stuff. Then when everyone was ready we got in the trucks and headed out. The time was around 9:30 am. On the way out to the field, the scenery was AWESOME! The open fields, being slightly blown by the wind; the sun shining brightly down to heat the cool earth; and a clear sky; all signs of a wonderful day. It was in the low 40s with the wind-chill. I was layered up from head to toe: I wore a hat and when that didn't work one of the gals gave me a head band to go around my ears; I had a tank top on under a long-sleeve shirt, that was under a T-shirt, and that was under an oversized sweatshirt; I had leggings under my jeans; two pairs of socks on, one knee high and one low rise; and skater shoes on. I also had my coat tied onto the back of the saddle incase I needed more layers.

We finally got to the field and after putting the bridles on the horses, we headed out into the pasture to round up the cows on the horses. Riding down to the field, I asked Jeanette and Nancy (Patti's friends whom she told to keep an eye on me) about refreshment questions: the best way to stop any horse; how to keep my balance while trotting; and how loose to have the reigns.

When we got into the field we spilt up into two groups: 5 of us went to go get the cattle into a group while 4 of us (including me) went the other way to open gates that they would come through. Once we were done with opening the gates, it was our turn to join in the chaos. All the cows were mooing as they were rounded up. There were a couple of us in the back and on both sides, letting them head to the gate themselves. There was a little over 100 cows. A sea of black and brown cows…

After going a couple miles out of the pasture, we chased them through the section line for about two miles. The section line is a path between two different pastures. Meaning, there was one field on one side and another field on the other side. Three of use rode ahead of the cows to make sure they would go the right way; and the rest of us were on the sides making sure all the cows who stopped to eat would get back with the group; and the rest of us were in the back making sure all the cows moved, and chased any that would stop so they kept going with the group. When the section line was over, we were in the ride about 3 hours and were traveling on the road. When that time came, my toes were numb from having thin shoes and not having thick socks on, and my fingers were a little numb as well, from not having thick gloves on.

For the last 2 hours I rode in the trailer. The trailer duty (ha ha ha) was to go to the top of the next hill and warn any cars coming towards us that we were moving a little over a hundred cows and that they could either wait for them to go past or wait for the riders to move the cows out of the way. Luckily we were very fortunate, and only came across 3 or 4 cars.

From the top of the hill the trailer driver (I can't remember his name) and I would get out and watch. The view was gorgeous! The sun was reflecting off any of the little ponds of water in the fields, and all the open fields below us, not to mention all the cows. The thick huge group of cows… J

When they finally got to the Frank's yard, we parked the trailer blocking their way to the left, and we also stood there, making sure they went to the right and into the pasture at the house. They all went into the field and Kevin (Mr. Frank) closed the gate. SUCCESS!

We were done about 2 hours before expected, and Patti (Mrs. Frank) had some stew ready and when all the horses were put away, everyone chowed down. And Patti had Kevin started a fire. Good outside fun.

    I had so much fun herding the cattle, and I hope I can do it next summer and fall, too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting story Cassie!! With all the details, I felt I was right there with you!! Sounds like you enjoyed yourself....just need to where warmer shoes next time! Love, GMA Linda