Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Winter Scenery

Yesterday when the kids and I ran errands we were amazed by the mounds of snow in the parking lots and along the streets.  I didn't have my camera with me.  So, today, I took my camera with us when Jay & I ran errands.  All the roads out by us in the rural area are clean and cleared between  the plowing and blowing in the open space, but the roads in town are not so clean.  Apparentely, Bismarck got a total of 13.8 inches of snow between Christmas Eve and the day after Christmas, and that snow accumulated on the 4-6 inches we already had. 


This is what the parking lots look like with only the little bit of snow so far.  







I can't imagine what this place looked like last year with 102 inches of snow. Where did they go with it???

Jay pulled up to one of the piles in Target's parking lot and took a picture of our van beside it . . .



This is what the parking lot at Sam's Club looks like . . .




Snow Removal

On our way into town, we saw some trucks, the kind that are used in Ohio and other areas to haul salt to treat the roads during the winter, but these trucks were hauling snow out of town.  CRAZY!!!

These plows were working on one of the main roads . . .



A little further up the road, this is how they were loading the snow into the trucks to haul out of town . . .



I would guess this is what they did a lot of last year with all that snow.

Here's a look at Jay's church, buried with snow.




Recreational Vehicles

Okay, I have to admit, I have never seen so many recreational vehicles.  I kid you not.  Just about everyone out here has one or more recreational vehicles between campers, RVs, boats, fishing boats, quads/four-wheeler/ATV, Seadoos/wave runners, and the latest we've seen make these tracks along the roads . . .



. . . snowmobiles!!

Before we were mesmerized by the ATVs we'd see traveling along the roads.  In the ditch line, they run their ATVs along the road.  I'm not sure if it's for pure recreation or if they are using them as transportation from point A to point B.  But lately we have seen people on their snowmobiles.



CRAZY  .  .  . the effects of snow in North Dakota

3 comments:

Laura said...

Oh my goodness, that is a lot of snow! The parking lot picture is so funny! It looks like everyone is enjoying it though with all their new toys ;)

The Jackson Juniors said...

FYI . . . someone told me today, that as of today there is more snow than this same time last year. NO!! Don't tell me that!

Jennifer James said...

I love the snow mobiles!! They look like so much fun!
Am loving all of your snow pictures!