Friday, January 22, 2010

New Foods & They are KEEPERS

Today was a day for some new recipes.  I have to admit, I probably have more cookbooks than I will ever be able to use.  I mean, there's probably no way I will ever be able to cook even half of all the recipes in all the books I have.  However, I do flip through them all the time looking for something new to try.  Some of my favorites include the Gooseberry Patch cookbooks, Rachel Ray's Just in Time, and The Biggest Loser Family Cookbook

Today I broke out Rachel Ray's book to check the ingredients for an upcoming meal, and I decided to see what kind of soups she featured.  You see, since we've moved to North Dakota, we have eaten more soup in the past four months than we have probably in the past four years.  Matter of fact, by indulging in today's soup, this was the third soup of the week since Tuesday.  Jay says soup is definitely a comfort food and great for cold days like today.  Well, I made her Harvest Creamed Corn Chouper, and boy was it a HIT!!  It was truly very easy to make, the ingredients were definitely "pantry" items or things one would have on hand regularly, and it took less than thirty minutes to make.



Well, I wanted to figure out what to have for dinner so I grabbed my latest magazines.  You see, I get the Taste of Home Healthy Cooking, Taste of Home Simple & Delicious, and Taste of Home magazines. When I get the new issues I try to make something out of them, you know to justify paying for it!!

So, tonight I used a recipe from the February/March 2010 Taste of Home issue, Tacoritos.  Okay, maybe they don't look very appetizing, but I made some adjustments to the recipe (don't tell my husband - you see I use not ever stray from a recipe & it drove him NUTS!!) - anyway, after some minor tweeking, it too was a HUGE HIT!!



One day, two recipes . . . and they BOTH are KEEPERS!!  Now I just need to come up with a system so I know where to find those "KEEPERS".

1 comment:

Jennifer James said...

Yum, I get so burn out cooking the same things all the time! Thanks for some new ideas!