Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Week of Fave Foods

As I have mentioned, we are eating a lot more soup than we have eaten in years.  If I have calculated correctly, we have had soup six days out of the last ten.  That's a lot of liquid!!  There have been some old favorites and now some new favorites!!

One of our favorite things too is tilapia, okay not Cassie's, but we have a hard time finding it around here.  We usually get it from the seafood area in Sam's Club's meat department.  It is a little pricier here, so maybe it costs more to ship in here so they don't carry as much.  We have only had it twice since November.  I check for it when we go to Sam's but they just don't seem to have it by the time I get there.  We really like it grilled, Cassie seems not to mind it as much when it's grilled, but due to the weather conditions around here we have only grilled once since November - and those were those delicous cheeseburgers a couple of weeks ago. 

Since we can't get out to grill, I used one of our favorite recipes the other night to prepare the tilapia.  It's a recipe from Rachel Ray's Just in Time! called "Tilapia Club Stacks."  Instead of just eating the tilapia over a bed of salad mix with bacon strips, we decided to put it all on a hoagie and eat it like a BLT.   It was very yummy!!



Then we had some of our favorite homemade soups, Hot & Sour Soup.  This is one of my favorite soups, minus the tofu, that I get from the Chinese restaurants when we eat there.  Luckily I found a recipe that is very easy and it tastes very similar to those I have had.  Now, the kids don't like it and they difinitely don't like the way it smells. That's okay, Jay & I like it and with the right amount of red pepper flakes it has a "kick."



One of the kids' favorite homemade soup . . . homestyle chuncky chicken noodle soup.  I have made it so much in the two months, probably once a week, that I could make it in my sleep.  I really don't have a recipe.  I read a few and then just made what I thought would be easy and tasty.



Well, now I have to think ahead to next week and what the menu will be.  Our evenings are starting to get busy so I have to have dinner ready between 5:00 - 5:30 p.m., which is really early to eat, so we can eat before everyone is out the door to meetings, children's choir, catechism, youth group - gymnastics requires us to not eat until 7:00 p.m. which is way to late in my opinion.

1 comment:

Angi said...

We've been on a soup thing, too...and Baby says, the spicier the better! My other kids are panting over their water glasses but I sit there going, "MMMMMM, this is PERFECT!" :)

That chicken noodle is calling my name.
Unfortunately, you're a little farther than I'd like to travel for a bowl of hot soup :) (But if the right craving hit, you never know...)