Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Packed, Loaded and Heading out

Well, I woke early Saturday morning, close to 5:30 a.m.  I was anxious, not to be leaving for our most anticipated trip, but hopeful the electricity would have come on overnight.  Unfortunately, it had not.  I couldn't go back to sleep, but I wasn't going to get out of bed because it was sooo cold in the house.  I know it was only 63 degrees in the house, but still that's a bit chilly!!  The kids woke up a little before 6:30 a.m. and were anxious to get the car loaded since we still didin't have electricity.  Oh, wait they found their Easter baskets and then were ready to load the van.


By the time we loaded the van and gathered as many of the last minute things we could think of, it was a little after eight.  The kids were ready to climb into the van and head out.  Now, Cassie and I were a little slow to get in and head out.  I wasn't really ready to leave Jay for an extra two days and Cassie knew she wouldn't be seeing her dad till late July.  I think I was still thinking, and hoping, the electricity would come on and we could unload the van and wait till Monday to leave.



Well, the power never came back on so we left a little after eight.  Our agreement was if the electricity came on and I was less than an hour away, we would turn around and leave when we were originally scheduled to leave, Mon., Apr. 5th.  We were hopeful it could still come back on, but we  had heard it could be as late as Wednesday before the power was restored, which is why we decided to start our extended trip earlier than originally planned. 

The kids and I drove from Bismarck to Council Bluffs, Iowa to my parents' house.  Jay phoned a few times during the drive, but the power was never back on.  This was suppose to be an easy drive.  Go east on I-94 to Fargo and then take I-29 south all the way to Council Bluffs. It took a little around three hours to get to Fargo and I was feeling good about getting through Fargo and getting onto I-29.  However, after driving for a while something just didn't seem quite right, and it wasn't.  I was actually heading north.  UGH!!!  Luckily we were only 34 miles north of Fargo which made our trip almost an extra hour longer (speed limit in ND & SD is 75 mph), but we arrived in CB around 6:40 p.m. Jay phoned about an hour after we arrived to let us know . . . the power was back on.  Go figure, if we would have stayed it wouldn't have been on till Monday or later, but since we left it came back on. 

As of yesterday, there were still thousands without power our area.  So, Jay is lucky to have it back.

No comments: