Monday, December 6, 2010

The Advent Season

This year we decided to celebrate the Advent season in preparation of Jesus’ birth by doing the Jesse Tree.  The past couple of years I have read other blogs and checked out various sites about the Jesse Tree, but wasn’t sure how to get started. 

DSCF8315

Well, before Thanksgiving my MIL had mentioned the Jesse Tree and shared this book.  Ironically the day before I had been internet searching again and I shared that with her.  This is something my husband’s family had done for years and she had the tree and the ornaments to get started.  So, we decided to do it together – the kids, grandparents, and parents (Skyping Dad in from ND). 

DSCF8310

Of course, the kids weren’t as excited about doing it as I was, but they are willing.  The first night Grandma told them what readings to read before we would do the devotional part and place the ornament on the tree.

DSCF8312

DSCF8313

DSCF8314

The first couple of days, the kids were asked to read the verses before our coming together in the evening.  Well, that worked, but then we decided we would incorporate it into our school day.  So, the kids and I gather together to read and it usually provokes conversation.  Sometimes, probing questions or comments I am not well versed in so I tell them to talk to their dad or grandma. 

DSCF8348

So, here’s the tree from the first night.  I am hoping the kids and I can make our own tree and ornaments to use in future years. 

No comments: