Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas Eve Tradition

On Christmas Eve, after our return from church the kids open their gifts from my family.  Since we don’t get to see my family over the holidays, my mom ships our goodies and then they sit under the tree tormenting the kids (so I’ve been told).  But they know because it is our tradition that they will get to open them on Christmas Eve.

We had already each opened a gift from them the day the package arrived.  My mom had selected ornaments for us as she always does, but this year she gave us permission to open them early to display on our ‘tree away from home tree’ so we could enjoy them this year.

But after church, the unwrapping began . . .

100_2363

Mackenzie found a gift card in her new Vera Bradley wallet.  She was so excited about her new VB things and of course her new Littlest Pet Shop animals.

100_2367

Zack was chomping at the bit to construct his new Legos sets.

100_2373

Kassi got some new stylish things and some new VB things too.

100_2376

Kassi also had a gift from her Godmother, Auntie Tiff.  She found some really cool things at Forever 21 – I guess Kassi has a new fav store to check out!

100_2380

Kassi showing off her new fashions.  She really enjoyed her gifts Grandma & Auntie Tiff!  I was delighted to see her face light up with all her gifts this year – a great accomplishment with any teenage girl!! 

Jay & I received another awesome gift from my family.  Over the years, Jay & I have received some wonderful things from my parents.  We even have several beautiful village pieces that we have received – which we look forward to each year - that we love displaying especially during the holidays. 

Well, Jay & I were discussing, planning, and trying to figure out how to financially finagle a way to get together – either meeting in IA at my folks or having him come to OH.  It is just way too expensive to fly him from ND to OH, but it is more reasonable for him to drive to Omaha and fly from there.  So, we started checking airfares and we decided it would be more economical for him to drive to my parents & fly to OH than for the kids & I to drive and meet him at my parents and only get to spend a few days together.  So, I broke the bad news to my mom that we would not be making the trip to their house.

Shortly after talking with her, she phoned me back and told me that her and dad were trying to figure out what to get Jay & I this year and they had an idea.

southwest

Thanks to my parents and their wonderful Christmas gift, a plane ticket to see Jay only cost us a few bucks.  So, the count down begins . . . our –mine that is - present will arrive in mid-January in the form of a father, a husband, and a friend.  He will be the only one that gets to see my family, but we are truly thankful for their gift because now the kids & I will be able to see him again and spend a full week together. 

Thank you so much, Mom & Dad!!  This is the greatest gift we could have received this year.  Love to you both!!

No comments: