Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Father's Day outing - Hocking Hills Valley

We wanted to do something unique for Father's Day, so I started looking into different things. It's amazing what opportunities we have here in our own backyard. I guess when you live somewhere for so long, you don't see or do all the neat things around. I had no idea we had a "family-friendly" train ride within an hour of our house. For the heck of it I requested a Hocking Hills visitor guide to see what was in that area, assuming it was all camping, hiking, outdoorsy activities. When the guide arrived and I began flipping through the pages, I found the Hocking Valley Scenic Railway. When I mentioned it to Jay, of course he did it when he was younger . . . hello, why haven't we done it yet??

Needless to say, on Father's Day we headed down to the Hocking Valley and had a wonderful day. Hello, I need to go back because there are so many things to do there! Flea markets, shopping, and antiques - need I say more. We took the train ride which took us to an 1840s pioneer log village, Robbins Crossing. So cool!! Then we went back to a cool little diner, the Silver Diner - Diner d'Argento, we had passed on our way, to eat lunch. After lunch we went back to Old Man's Cave (see other post).

We had a great, fun packed day. I am so glad we found these treasures. I am pretty sure Jay had a good time with us too.
































Robbins Crossing - - a historic village at Hocking College






















2 comments:

Angi said...

What a great find!! I'm going to add this railway trip to my Family Outings list of ideas because I KNOW my gang would just love it!

Looks like you all had a wonderful time out there!!

Grandma Linda said...

Sounds like you all had a good time!! Wish we could have gone sometime!! Maybe if you don't leave Ohio anytime soon....