Friday, March 19, 2010

What is it???


At first glance, what do you think this is?

Red paint?

Red playdough?

Red clay?

Tomato Soup?

Okay, I'll tell you . . .

It's red velvet cake batter!!


I have never had red velvet cake.  You see, I was curious to what it tastes like as this is the cake flavor that has been requested for my sister-in-law's baby shower.  I had a friend request it while I was in Ohio, but before I had the chance to make it I moved.  In conversation with my mom, I had mentioned making it from scratch and she said she knew they sold a boxed one at her grocery store. Sure enough she phoned the other day and asked how many to pick up.  Well, I had her pick up several, but now I am thinking I will be making it from scratch (Sorry, Mom for the inconvenience). 

Apparently the boxed version looks like red velvet cake and just tastes like a chocolate cake.  So, last night I made my first red velvet cake from scratch.  Who would have thought something with buttermilk and vinegar in it would taste good.  I was pleasantly surprised at the flavor.  Now, I am a huge fan of sweets, where as my husband is not.  So I think he liked this cake because it was not overpoweringly (is that even a word) sweet.  I was able to enjoy it without icing; however, he and the girls slathered on vanilla icing (from a tub) - I was not going to break out the KitchenAid mixer yet to make the traditional cream cheese icing, that's for another day. 

Matter of fact, I will be making test cakes this weekend so I know whether or not the flavors go good together before I make them for the baby shower.  At my brother's request, on his wife's behalf, I am making the red velvet cake and a white cake.  I don't like just cake.  I like a little surprise inside.  So, I plan to make a red velvet cake with the traditional cream cheese filling & icing and also a white cake with raspberry mousse and buttercream icing.  Luckily, Jay has a retreat tomorrow to share one cake at and I'll share the other on Sunday at a church potluck.  Here's hoping they turn out flavorfully delicious!!

No comments: