Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Cassie, I mean Kassi

Well, in case you haven’t heard or seen it on FaceBook, Cassie, I mean Kassi has decided she would like to express her individuality.

By birth, she is named Cassaundra but immediately became known as Cassie.  As you might notice there is a ‘u’ in her name because we didn’t want her to be known as Cassandra (‘sand’ pronounced like sand) we wanted her to be called Cassaundra – the same ‘au’ sound in faucet.  Well, even some of our friends and neighbors still call her ‘Cassandra.’  Anyway, in short and in hopes to prevent the mispronunciation we have called her Cassie.

As many of you know, Jay & I encourage our children to be individuals.  Don’t be a follower.  Be a leader.  Be yourself!!  We named her, but she can decide how to express herself within reason. 

The other day she asked me if she could change the spelling of her name.  I clarified, she is not allowed to change the spelling of her legal name but she can change the spelling of her nickname – the name she goes by.  Which is what she was seeking permission to do.  I was okay with it, but she also needed to talk to her dad.  He agreed it was fine, too.

So, to sum it up . . . Cassie is no longer C-A-S-S-I-E.  Cassie is K-A-S-S-I.  I don’t think the new spelling is going to help her two-year old cousin.  He’ll still call her “Assi,” – LOL - and she will always be known to family and those close to her as BUBBA. 

No comments: