Friday, August 13, 2010

From the garden . . .

not mine!!!  A while back a church member offered to come over and till a garden spot for us.  I would have loved to have a garden, BUT I have no idea what to plant, when to plant, or how to care for a garden.  So, I thanked her and declined the offer. 

That is one of many things I have truly missed from home.  My mother-in-law always has such a wonderful garden full of tomatoes, peppers, squash, pickles, lettuce, and eggplant.  For years we’d go to her brother’s and pick from his thousands of acres of tomatoes because once they’d turn red he couldn’t use/sell them with the companies he was contracted with.

The first time I picked with them I was pregnant with Cassie.  It was a neat experience for me because I didn’t grow up on a farm or have family that had a working farm.  I remember just eating the things off the vines out in the field and riding in the back of the truck on the tailgate.

Over the years we took the kids and went with Jay’s parents so they got the experience of picking tomatoes, shucking hundreds of years of corn, and riding in HUGE tractors.  Even the summer they went and stayed with Grandma & Grandpa for two weeks while we lived in Colorado, they still got to go to Uncle Ken’s farm.  And Cassie is going tomorrow to Uncle Ken’s with family to shuck hundreds of ears of corn to bring back for Grandma to prep to be eaten over the next year. 

Anyway, I don’t have a garden, but that wonderful individual that offered to till us a garden spot has graciously shared her bounty . . .

DSCF6976

look at those beautiful squash, peppers, cucumbers, beets, and red potatoes!!  I can’t wait to enjoy their wholesome goodness!!! 

DSCF6977

Check out the size of that pepper.  Thank you Kathy – I am sooo looking forward to those fresh garden flavors those tasty things will add to our meals.

No comments: