Saturday, May 29, 2010

Veterans Cemetary

Why do we celebrate Memorial Day?  To be honest, I couldn’t tell you much other than I know Memorial Day is suppose to be a day to recognize those who have fought for our country.  So I Googled and came across a little bit of history

I learned it was originally celebrated on May 30th and it was called Decoration Day until it became a mandatory three day weekend government holiday in 1971 moving its observance to the last Monday of May. I also learned that it is a day to honor and mourn those fallen men and women who have fought for our country. 

I wonder if we have lost the true meaning behind the day?  It seems it has become so commercialized and celebrated as the kickoff to summer.

I’m done.  Anyway, the other day Jay took us to the North Dakota Veterans Cemetery.  They seemed to be prepping it for the upcoming Memorial Day service.

DSCF5815

DSCF5816 

DSCF5820

DSCF5817

We noticed that the headstones had different symbols on them and then there were names on the back of some of them.  

DSCF5818

DSCF5821

No comments: